Monday, January 11, 2010

My Ministry

Children sleeping in Mulberry Street (1890) Art.Image via Wikipedia
Well, I promised to let you know what I do in my ministry.  I have four aspects (or maybe more, but whose counting) to my ministry.  I am a licensed mental health counselor.  I see everyone from age 2 to 92.  I see couples, children, adults, teenagers.  In the past seven years, I have been deeply touched by the stories people have entrusted to my care.  I have also been deeply touched that God has used me as an instrument of much healing.  I have seen children who have been sexually abused come in afraid and leave as self-confident persons, to be very successful later on in life.  I have seen teenagers on the verge of joining gangs and changing to more positive directions in their lives.  I have seen depressed people drag themselves in and leave with their heads held high, and feeling good about themselves.  I have seen anxious people, tranquil after therapy.  A second aspect of my ministry is drug and alcohol counseling.  I marvel at those who have taken the tough road from addictions to being drug free and sober, having faced their own demons and come out of it a better person.  A third aspect of my ministry is spiritual direction.  Many people do not know what spiritual direction is.  It is when one person, the director, sits with another and tries to discern God's presence in their lives.  To see the spiritual growth in others is truly a magnificent gift.  The fourth aspect of my ministry is the parenting program or the Nurtured Heart Approach.  This was originally started for parents of children with ADHD, but has been found to work with all children.  Another aspect of that is to bring it into the schools.

      I have a wonderful staff who works with me on these projects with amazing results.  I am so fortunate to have them.

     We have worked exclusively with poor people of all races and nationalities.  Our funding has been cut, so we are trying to sell some of our products.  For example, we made a DVD, 2 CDs, and a couple of e-books, and are working on some more.  If you want more information, let me know by writing to me at corazonalimentado@hotmail.com

If you think this is a good ministry and you would like to donate, please go to the church's website at http://www.stpaulchurchde.org/ and click donations at the bottom and specify that it is for the counseling department.  Every little bit helps.  In advance, I ask God to bless you for your generosity in helping especially the children.  Well, that is a very brief summary of what I do.  Please do not hesitate to write me your thoughts.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting, Theresa. It will be great to see the Good News article, complete with photos!

    ReplyDelete

 
} catch(err) {}